Monday, March 29, 2010

Allergy Test

Conner had been showing some questionable side effects to nuts so my pediatrician suggested that we get him checked. We waited at the hospital lab for just over an hour before they got Conner in. That in and of itself was difficult trying to entertain a one year old in a hospital with wheelchairs around as well as all the people. He wanted to push all of the wheelchairs. Well we finally get called back and the person who was going to draw Conner's blood had another woman come over and started asking her how she should do this. My first thoughts were, are you new? I don't want someone new poking my child. She placed four tubes down next to us and I asked her are you going to poke him four times? She said hopefully not. I sat down and held Conner and the girl stuck him in the arm with the first needle. At first he acted as if nothing was going on, it didn't phase him one bit. Then she started wiggling the needle around trying to find the vein. That is when Conner lost it. It took three of us to hold him down. I had never heard him cry like that. She got the blood she needed and the girls were trying to decide if they had enough blood to run all the tests. While they were deciding Conner had almost calmed himself down. Then they decided that they didn't have enough blood so she went for his other arm Conner immediately started to try to pull away when he she grabbed his arm. She again wiggled the needle around to find a vein and fill the tubes. Conner was sweating by this time he was so worked up I was crying by now and felt awful for what he was going through. That was the hardest thing I have had to experience with Conner, which I am very grateful for. We have been very blessed with Conner's health. He has never had an ear infection, the only thing he has had are colds, diaper rash and throwing up for a week. Steve called from work and asked how it went, my response was, that was hell. Never in my life would I have thought that it would hurt me so much to see my child hurting.
We have received the results back and he showed a reaction to chestnuts. Because that is a type of tree nut Conner has been told to stay away from all tree nuts for the next 6-9 months and then they will see how he does with them. I am grateful that peanuts are not a kind of tree nut. I love Conner so much and I am so blessed that Heavenly Father entrusted me with his sweet spirit.

3 comments:

Celeste Ferguson said...

Oh I hate needles in my babies!! I feel your pain. Bummer about the allergy. Hopefully he will grow out of it.

Sarah said...

how sad! that makes me sick!

Kim and Preston said...

That has to be so hard. I dread that day! Sorry about the allergy...but like you say how nice it is not peanuts, thats not a fun allergy.