Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Toilet Trained

First, I wanted to say thank you for all the prayers, texts, emails, and comments. I could definitely feel all the help I was getting. I really appreciate it, thank you to all of you SO much.  
I hope I don't jinx myself but, Conner is totally toilet trained! We started about two weeks ago, the day before Thanksgiving. I went to get a diaper and saw we only had five left so I told Conner he was wearing underwear. For the first two days I reminded him every 45 minutes that he needed to sit on the toilet. It was a little bit of a fight so I was drained and worn out quickly with this method. Starting Friday after Thanksgiving I started a new method, put underwear on him and if he had an accident he had an accident, I did not want to be on his tail about it. So, for the next two days he only had three accidents using this method. So I decided to keep this method and let him decide on his own if he needed to go to the bathroom. On Sunday, I put a pull-up on him just in case. I really didn't want him to have an accident in nursery. The next day is when I started to miscarry but I was definitely being looked after and being shown tender mercies because there weren't any pee accidents for the next three days. He did poop once but thankfully at that time he had a pull up on.  For some reason Conner was scared to go poop in the toilet. He would tell us it was coming and then he would cry because he didn't want to poop in his underwear but he didn't want to poop in the toilet. So we would sit with him in the bathroom forever trying to help him relax. Last Sunday Steve told Conner to push the gas out and it's like it clicked in his mind that the muscles were the same and out came the poop. Steve had also taken off the kid size toilet seat which I think was another key factor. For the last three days he has stayed dry all night long, then when he woke up he went to the bathroom by himself, took off his pants and underwear and climbed on his stool then sat on the toilet and went all by himself! It is wonderful! We will have a test this Saturday at the Ferguson Christmas party. We will see if he remembers to go when he gets sidetracked playing with all of his cousins. I am so grateful for Conner. He has such a tender a caring heart. He is sensitive and happy. He makes us laugh daily.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

yay! glad there is something positive to keep you happy :)