Wednesday, October 26, 2011

More Thoughts

Why? Why do people feel it is their right to judge others? Why if someone has government assistance are they considered lazy and bad people? Why is it assumed that those people never have jobs? Does it make those people feel better to bash on strangers when they don't know their situations? I am so grateful that the assistance is available for others. It crushes my heart to think of kids going to bed hungry and crying. Yes, some people may take advantage of it but I think that is a small percentage. I am just grateful for the kids that can go to the doctor and get help when they need it and the food that they need. If I have to pay extra taxes for that then so what, I am grateful to help out! A couple dollars from a paycheck each month isn't going to break me.

The Bishop was speaking in sacrament last Sunday and said something that I thought was very good. He reminded us to look at people with a celestial perspective and not with our temporal eyes. I have been a very judgmental person for a lot of my life. I will be the first to admit that I am not that nice of a person, but I have gotten better. I do slip back into those judgmental thoughts more often than I want, but I am trying.

I learned some more things the last couple of weeks that I'd like to write down so I don't forget. One is, where is enough? What is good enough? How do we measure? If we tell ourselves, if only I was this or that then I would be good enough. What happens if you do obtain that? Is it going to be enough then? Something that I have to remember and remind myself is, I'm still working on it. I'll get there, I'm a work in progress.

4 comments:

Stef said...

Amen! That is one thing that was reinforced completely to me when I started working in my field. I could look at my clients like junkies and addicts or look at them like people with a problem. Hearing about their lives and what they have gone through is pretty horrific. There's no way I could help them if I had such a narrow view of them. And I still do some days, unfortunately.
Good for you for being open-minded and loving! We need more people like you in this world.

lindseyfrancom said...

Very insightful. I think we all have to be reminded not to judge. Looking at people with a celestial perspective is a really good way of saying it.

Love those pics of your kids, you have such a darling family!

Kim and Preston said...

Thanks Becca! Just for the record you have always been kind to me and a good friend when others were not so nice! Thank you for the reminder of looking at people with celestial eyes. I think if we all did that it would be such a good place.

Stef said...

Hey, I tried e-mailing you back, but it failed. Weird. I'll keep trying.