From the time I was in elementary school I wanted to be an illustrator and author of children's books. A foolish fantasy. I knew I hadn't developed my drawing talents well enough to be an illustrator and I hadn't written any stories since I was in 5th grade. So I gave up on the idea. I never really thought I would pursue it. About a month ago I started to write some rhyming picture stories and realized how much I loved it. It wasn't too difficult for me either. After writing about four of those I decided to write real children's books. (Ones that don't rhyme.) I decided I was going to do this, I would become an author of children's books. No matter how many times I was told no.
I looked up one of the publishers that I was really interested in, Scholastic, and they suggested buying a certain book to help you get started. I found it online and ordered it. It is called Children's Writer's and Illustrator's Market. It is filled with addresses of publishers and the in's and out's of publishing. It is over 300 pages long! Anyway, I looked through the different publishers and found one that meets my style of writing and one that accepts unsolicited manuscripts. Then my common sense sunk in again. "There is no way I am ever going to get published. This is just a waste of people's time." Then I remembered me telling myself this would happen. I will become an author. So, today, I sent in my first manuscript ever to a publisher. It was one of my rhyming picture manuscripts. On their contact information it says to give them 3 months to reply to submissions. So hopefully by September I will have heard something back.
Wish me luck!
I looked up one of the publishers that I was really interested in, Scholastic, and they suggested buying a certain book to help you get started. I found it online and ordered it. It is called Children's Writer's and Illustrator's Market. It is filled with addresses of publishers and the in's and out's of publishing. It is over 300 pages long! Anyway, I looked through the different publishers and found one that meets my style of writing and one that accepts unsolicited manuscripts. Then my common sense sunk in again. "There is no way I am ever going to get published. This is just a waste of people's time." Then I remembered me telling myself this would happen. I will become an author. So, today, I sent in my first manuscript ever to a publisher. It was one of my rhyming picture manuscripts. On their contact information it says to give them 3 months to reply to submissions. So hopefully by September I will have heard something back.
Wish me luck!


3 comments:
Good Luck Becca! That is so inspiring to me! Thanks for sharing that and I look forward to what you hear back:)
Good for you! It's a huge accomplishment in itself even to be brave enough to go after your dreams! Love it!
That is so awesome! I am so proud of you! I have secretly wanted to be an author too.... I wrote a lot in school. I am thinking about publishing my blog. Anyway, congrats! Keep us updated!
Post a Comment