Thursday, May 19, 2011

Spoiled

I have been spoiled the last couple of nights. Shannon went 9 hours between feedings last night, 10 hours between feedings the night before, 9 hours the night before that and 6 the night before that. Last week she had a night where she went 11 hours between feedings. Wednesday we drove the 45 minutes up to Primary Children's spent two minutes with the doctor and left without any hope of a quick recovery from her birthmark. The doctor told us that this type of ulcer takes a few months to heal and she wants to see Shannon every two weeks to check on her progress. I was bummed, I had been given some ideas from my regular care doctors that there were different procedures that they could do to help speed up the process but there aren't. Tonight driving home Steve mentioned to me that he felt some tension in the car. I started to cry a little and said, I have just listened to my daughter cry for 4 hours straight, I also just found out that the crying isn't going to stop for a few more months. This has been tough, I know it has been so much harder on her. I am sure that Shannon sleeping so well at night every so often is a tender mercy from Heavenly Father. He knows I need that break and I am so grateful. Thursday was Shannon's hearing appointment.That didn't go so well, at least with her cooperation skills. The first test that we get down when we go has to be silent. No one, including Shannon, can make any noise. Shannon can't move either so I have to hold her. Luckily that one went smooth and it only took a few minutes but the next test was tough. Normally it takes an hour and a half to test both ears. She can't move much with this test either and she can't make noise. She has four electrodes on her head with wires coming out of each one and then she has another tube that gets stuck down in her ear. It can't be the most comfortable thing. So we start this really long test and it is the third time she has had it done and we have never had any problems before. First, she was fussing because she was wide awake and that sore was bugging her I am guessing so I decided to change her diaper. So Shannon has to get unhooked from everything. I sit her on a chair (this test is performed in the woman's office) and put the mat under her. Luckily the woman stepped out for a second while I did this because as soon as I took off Shannon's diaper she peed. It wasn't a small amount of pee either, oh no, the pee got on her clothes and then proceeded to run down the changing mat, onto my leg and then onto her carpet. I quickly tried to clean it up off the floor and my thigh then saw how much pee was on Shannon. I decided to just hurry and get her dressed before the woman came back in. Once she returned we hooked Shannon back up to everything and tried again. She kept fidgeting so the audiologist had to keep stopping the test until Shannon settled. It took an hour and a half just to do the first ear. Then it was onto the second ear. She was still fussing and I thought she might be hungry so again, she was unhooked, fed her and hooked her back up. Still fussing and fussing...then she starts screaming..yep she pooped. Unhook her again, darn sore on her bum. Get that cleaned up and hook her up again. She finally gets settled down and then she gets the hiccups. We can't do the test while she has the hiccups. By this time it had been almost 2 and a 1/2 hours. The audiologist decided that I just needed to come back another day to get results for her right ear which stinks since it is by St. Marks Hospital on 3900 south. But the good news is that Shannon passed on her left ear. She said that she barely made into the normal range so she would cautiously pass her. So that is great.
It only took about 5 months but Conner finally stays in his bed when it is time to go to sleep. He'll lay there for half an hour and still not get out. Then, this week started. His one, sometimes two hour nap suddenly went to three hours. My first reaction was, this is great, then bedtime came. After fighting him for two sometimes two and a half hours Conner would finally go to sleep. So for three days in a row he hasn't fallen asleep until 10:30!! Today he only had a two hour nap so I thought he would go to bed earlier....he is still awake. Steve is sitting in the rocking chair right now keeping Conner in his bed and it is 10:00. I guess it is time to cut out nap time.

1 comment:

Stef said...

Poor thing! You need a spa day.