On Friday I went in to work. I was wanting to get checked even though it had only been two days. Claudia saw me and was still concerned about my blood pressure, it was actually higher than my other highs. She spoke with Dr. Allen and he said I needed to be sent right over to the hospital to be induced. I got to the hospital at 11:20 a.m. I received the Pitocin at about 1:00 p.m, as well as a type of catheter that they placed behind my cervix to help me dilate. At 3:30 I asked for the epidural, it wasn't near as bad as I thought it was going to be. After receiving the epidural I felt good, I hadn't felt that comfortable in months. Around 6:00 I got my other catheter. I had been feeling very nauseous and at 10:00 I threw up and pulled out my IV from the tube and so they had to come clean up all the blood. Around 11:30 p.m. I was dilated to a three and the first catheter fell out, my provider then broke my water. The fluid was dark green, and brown. So obviously he had, had a bowel movement and from the looks of the fluid it had been a couple weeks. So she said that they would have nursery respiratory come in when he was born. At that point I was put on oxygen. From midnight on the babies heart beat kept dropping so the nurse had me changing positions about every 15 minutes. Around 4:00 I believe I had dilated to a six. The idea of a c-section came up because of the baby's heart rate. I asked Steve for a blessing and his brother came at 5:00 a.m. About five minutes after the blessing his heart rate was perfect. That is the picture above. Around 7:00 a.m I was told I was at 9+. At 7:50 a.m. I started to push, I pushed for an hour and a half. Conner did not come out correctly though. Instead of the top back of his head appearing first, his forehead and right eye area came out first. They tried so hard to turn him but couldn't. They just kept telling me to push harder, finally he came out and his heart rate dropped it was in the 60's. They called a second team in to work on the baby and because of how he came out it made the head "larger" so I ended up tearing, a 3rd degree. So the doc came in and stitched me up from the inside and outside. We were shown the baby for about 2 minutes then they took him and we didn't see him for 4 and a 1/2 hours. He had to get a CT scan because of the bruising on his face to make sure there wasn't any internal damage. And it came back clear. He also had a complete knot in his cord they may have been effecting the heart rate. I was told later that most women who have a baby with a brow presentation usually have to get a c-section because they physically can't push the baby out. I was so exhausted after pushing that I passed out for a few seconds on Steve chest. I am so grateful for the priesthood and for Lance. I don't know what would have happened without the blessing. It was kind of funny, Conner and I were well known down in mother and baby because of what he had to go through. He is perfect!
8 years ago


3 comments:
First off congratulations! I'm sorry it was not an easy delivery though! That is a lot to go through, especially for your first! I hope you and baby are doing better and recuperating (sp??)well. Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help! Post some more pictures of the little one when you get a chance! Take care!
Congratulations, Becca! I am so happy for you, even though it sounds like it was tough. It will go down in history, though!!
Congrats, Becca! I say that if you have a crappy pregnancy then you should have an easy delivery. Wow, that sounded miserable; I'm sorry you had to go through all that. Feel better and call me if you need anything!
Post a Comment